Christine Tjia

= All is well in my world =

= NRJIICDS =
= Buddies =
= Clickies =
3/14/2011

The Blower's Daughter - Damien Rice

Pondered by = Christine =


























Such a hauntingly beautiful song.

It is a great song about pining for someone. It was featured in the 2004 movie Closer, which captivated the very complicated relationships to express the pain and confusion of love.

There are various version of the meaning of the song:

* The "Blowers Daughter" refers to the daughter of a clarinet teacher. A "Blower" is someone who plays a wind instrument.

* Its about the daughter of a glass blower. In England Scotland and Ireland, a glass blower is reffered to as a blower.

* In a concert, Damien said this was written about his flute teacher's daughter.

* Drawn off from his experience as a mortgage broker, who did cold calling all day. He grew sick of speaking to people for 8 hours a day without seeing anyone's face, and he began to fantasize about the people behind the many voices he heard. One summer day, while trying to reach a man, he heard the soft, melodic and sweet voice of a young lady. (Blower is slang for phone)
He was actually calling for the father but her wasn't in. Protocol is that he should hang up the phone but despite of the risk of being sacked, they kept talking and Damien couldn't stop thinking about her and he kept calling back for her. Damien then began a secret relationship and always called her when he knew the father wasn't in. He dreamed of her at night, daydreamed about her all day long.

This continued for over a month, but unfortunately, she stopped answering the calls. Confused by the abrupt end, Damien was obsessed in anger and after discovering her address, he went over and hidden, he watched the same mesmerizing voice shouting out, "Bye Mom!" from a school uniform girl. Staring in shock, all the pieces of the puzzles fell in place. During school holidays, she was home and played games leading him on and when holidays are over, she stopped. The mysterious girl was the inspiration of this beautiful song.



= The Blower's Daughter =
Damien Rice


And so it is
Just like you said it would be
Life goes easy on me
Most of the time
And so it is
The shorter story
No love, no glory
No hero in her skies


I can't take my eyes off you
I can't take my eyes off you
I can't take my eyes off you
I can't take my eyes off you
I can't take my eyes off you
I can't take my eyes...


And so it is
Just like you said it should be
We'll both forget the breeze
Most of the time
And so it is
The colder water
The blower's daughter
The pupil in denial


I can't take my eyes off you
I can't take my eyes off you
I can't take my eyes off you
I can't take my eyes off you
I can't take my eyes off you
I can't take my eyes...


Did I say that I loathe you?
Did I say that I want to
Leave it all behind?


I can't take my mind off you
I can't take my mind off you...
I can't take my mind off you
I can't take my mind off you
I can't take my mind off you
I can't take my mind...
My mind...my mind...
'Til I find somebody new

Video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YXVMCHG-Nk
Pic - http://28.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lfwd51Zfq21qefzcto1_400.jpg

0 Thoughts:

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Copyright © 2010 Christine Tjia, All rights reserved